Friday 8 June 2012

And now, for something a little different from me...

I should have done this step-by-step with pictures, but I wanted to share a recipe with you. I'm calling it poor-man's sausage casserole, because there are only 5 ingredients and it's super-easy! AND you can do it all in one pot!

Equipment:
A stone casserole dish with a lid - pyrex dishes are also good.
A wooden spoon or your preferred stirring implement.

Ingredients:
4 sausages. Good meaty ones are best. I'm using low-fat ones as they're what I had ready.
A tin of chopped tomatoes - 400g
A tin of baked beans
A couple of handfuls of mixed veg (if you like, you can used fresh veg and add whatever you like. Mine is a frozen mix of broccoli, carrot, cauliflower and peas)
A large onion, diced (again, I'm cheap so I use ready chopped, frozen onions)

Method:
  1. Pre-heat the oven to about 180-200 degrees C
  2. Put the sausages into your dish. You can spray it with a little oil if you prefer, but I (try to) use stoneware that's pre-seasoned, so I don't need to. Brown them off in the oven.
  3. When the sausages are done, take them out of the oven and chop them into pieces, you can generally get 4/5 equal sized pieces out of each sausage. Put the sausage pieces into the lid of your casserole dish (just to save that extra bit of washing up as you'll need the empty pot for this next bit)
  4. Put all the other ingredients into the pot. Beans and tomatoes first, stir them together, then add your onions and other veg.
  5. Add a little water to make the sauce less thick, then add the sausage pieces and stir them in.
  6. Put the lid on the pot and cook in the oven for about 45 minutes.

(I will add a picture of the finished result later on!)

EDIT: Here it is! I think I'd also add a little seasoning in there. Some herbs and spices, etc. But it was still pretty good!


No comments: